Monday, October 14, 2013

Griffin 5K supports Center for Cancer Care in Derby


 
DERBY - Once again I "brought up the rear" at an inspiring Valley fund-raiser. And had a great time in the process.
On Oct. 5 it was the second annual Pounding the Pavement for Pink in Seymour - a truly amazing event to experience - that raised funds for and awareness of breast cancer.
Our Circle of Friends Griffin Hospital support group team came in last at that one.
But somebody has to be last!
 On Saturday it was at the fifth annual Griffin Hospital 5K walk/run to benefit the Center for Cancer Care in Derby.

 
Here are some of my teammates before the walk. Daughter Allegra is hamming it up for the camera.
 
My friend Judy Nicolari of Ansonia was new to the team this year, and I was happy to have her company along the route. Here she is chatting with Jimmy Little of Ansonia before the event.


My team has grown in size and I'm grateful for the moral support that all the members have shown me.
Having had my surgery at Griffin as well as my chemo and radiation treatments at the Center for Cancer Care I feel a strong commitment to all things Griffin.
Hoping to have an even bigger team for next year's 5K.
 
 
It was a beautiful morning! Griffin President and CEO Patrick Charmel told me when the walk began that last he had checked there were more than 540 participants. I haven't learned the final number. 



The weather couldn't have been more cooperative for participants and supporters.

The walkers take off down Wakelee Avenue, Ansonia.



Three of my supporters: husband Ralph flanked by our son, Cameron, and daughter, Allegra. 
 

 We saw some pretty fall colors on Westfield Avenue, Ansonia. 


These little girls dressed in pink warmed my heart when they cheered and chanted "fight breast cancer!" as we rounded a corner.


Chalk drawings along Coon Hollow Road encouraged us near the end of the route.








Judy and I were getting there at this point. We strolled and chatted, and I was able to snap some photos with this blog post in mind.




Hey Team McVillers, wait up! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was an awesome day and great article!

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...